Have you claimed your tax-deductible expenses?

nurser uniform tax refund

HMRC is reminding employees that they may be able to claim a tax rebate on their work related expenses. HMRC estimate that millions of employees, particularly those working in the service industry, could be entitled to a tax refund. Workers, including nurses, hairdressers, construction workers and those working in retail and food sectors, may be able to claim tax rebates.

Individuals in these types of roles sometimes have to pay for work-related expenses including car mileage, replacing or repairing small tools, or maintaining branded uniforms.

Where these types of expenses are incurred, employees may be entitled to claim a tax refund. HMRC is advising individuals to go directly to GOV.UK to check if they can claim extra cash back. HMRC advise taxpayers to log in to their Personal Tax Account to claim their tax relief online and that approved claims should be refunded within three weeks.

Are you eligible?

The majority of claims are for repairing or replacing tools and branded uniforms, professional subscriptions and mileage. Healthcare workers, people working in food and retail, and those in the construction industry are among the top professions to claim from HMRC.

HMRC is advising that taxpayers may be able to claim tax relief on the cost of:

  • Repairing or replacing small tools needed to do their job (for example, scissors or an electric drill).
  • Cleaning, repairing or replacing specialist clothing (for example, a branded uniform or safety boots).
  • Business mileage (not commuting).
  • Travel and overnight expenses.
  • Professional fees and subscriptions.

To find out more about tax deductible expenses of if you would like help claiming, contact D.E. Ball charted accountants in Telford, Shropshire today: https://www.deball.co.uk/



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *