In this article, we will look at the ‘Do’s and Don’ts’ of how to put out small fires with a fire blanket.
How do fire blankets work?
Fire Blankets are simple to use and have instructions printed on the casing. However, depending on the nature of the fire, there are certain techniques and processes that can be used to put out a fire quickly but safely.
Fire blankets are manufactured using fire resistant or fire retardant materials. By covering the fire with a fire blanket, the fire retardant material cuts off the oxygen supply, which prevents the fire from spreading.
How to use a fire blanket – Do’s
- This first process is directed towards kitchen fire scenarios – such as deep fat fryers.
- Firstly, if you are able to do so safely, switch off the heat source.
- Open up your fire blanket so that it is large enough to cover the flames.
- Place the fire blanket over the flames.
- Leave the blanket in place for at least 30 minutes to ensure that the fire is out.
- If you were unable to switch off the heat source at the beginning, switch it off as soon as you can safely do so.
- Finally, leave the room and call the fire brigade.
- The second process is for when a persons clothing is on fire.
- Firstly, you will need to open up your fire blanket.
- Make sure that your hands are kept safely wrapped in the blanket.
- Surround the person in the blanket, covering the flames.
- Encourage the person to roll on the floor until the flames have been extinguished.
- The final process is for protecting yourself during a fire.
This process is similar to the above. If you are in a burning building, you can wrap yourself or others in the fire blanket, to safely pass through the flames.
How to use a fire blanket –Don’ts
- Don’t use a fire blanket if the fire is bigger than the blanket.
- Don’t use a fire blanket if you can see that it will not cover the fire. It will not be able to smother the flames and cut off the oxygen.
- If it is possible and safe to do so, switch of the heat source.
- Leave the room, close the door and call the fire brigade.
- Don’t throw the blanket.
You should never attempt to throw a fire blanket over the flames. If you miss, you will not be able to retrieve the blanket to try again.
- Be sure to protect yourself
- Always be sure to shield yourself when you are approaching a fire.
- Make sure that you pay attention to your hands as you carefully place the blanket over the fire.
It makes great sense to have a fire blanket handy both at home and at work just in case there is a small fire.IC International fire blankets are available in a variety of standard sizes and have the added benefit of over 25 years of fire protection experience behind them.
For more information about the fire blankets that IC International has to offer, please visit their website: https://www.ic-international.com/fireblankets-BSEN1869.php